[ntp:questions] Is 24PPM an Excessive Real-Time Clock Correction?

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Tue Jul 10 20:10:23 UTC 2007

In article <46934f3f$0$25889$426a34cc at news.free.fr> Spoon
<root at localhost> writes:

>I think you missed my point.
>
>The HPET is supposed to replace all the other clocks I mentioned.
>
>Some manufacturers do choose high-quality components when they implement
>the HPET.
>
>Intel south bridges have included an HPET for some time now. Perhaps
>other manufacturers will follow their lead?
>
>We agree that the situation right now is pathetic. I was saying that
>maybe, just maybe, there is hope on the horizon?

Well, the HPET, as specified by Intel and as far as I understand, is
still just another set of timers/counters, isn't it? Maybe designed to
tick faster and have more bits than the others (though with 500 ppm I
think 11 bits gives you all the *precision* you can get:-) - but the
interesting part as far as NTP is concerned is the little box with
"Clock Gen" inside it, which is not discussed in the spec beyond the two
numbers you quoted, as far as I can see.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org