[ntp:questions] Kind of OT : GMT timezones in linux

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Tue Jul 10 22:15:29 UTC 2007

Per> [ The quoted message was posted to the mailing list
Per>   but never appeared in the newsgroup. ]

(Odd, I'm just read it via the newsgroup; let's see whether posting via
the newsgroup works better....)

Per> Interesting, I wasn't aware of that syntax - however the "requires"
Per> part seems doubtful.

Per> Um, what standard would that be? A reference would be appreciated (and
Per> ideally a quote if it isn't available online).

I discovered it when a change was made to ghostscript's svn related to
it.  The colon is definitely required in windows, and at that time we
(I and the committer) found a reference to one of the standards bodies'
version of the tzset docs (presumably either POSIX or SUS) which agrees
with the GNU manpage and doze's docs & implementation that the colon is
required.

Running 'man 3p tzset' suggests that it was more likely SUS than POSIX.

JimC> Cf: tzset(3), such as at:
JimC> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/man/man3/tzset.3.html

Per> Well, that is a Linux man page, and as such of limited information
Per> value.

Well, a GNU man page, as it docs glibc.

Per> As is often the case, it is not correct even for Linux itself -
Per> its relevance regarding standards is presumably nil.

The described syntax exactly matches the standard.  Hense why I pointed
there.  I was rushed and didn't search for bsd, soalris, hpux, et al pages.

In general, to maximimize cross-platform portability, you need the colon.

-JimC