[ntp:questions] How can I configure ntp server ?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jul 11 15:50:59 UTC 2007

On 2007-07-06, Titine <titine at nospam.fr> wrote:

> I want to synchronize my server from RH2000

What's that?

> and save the difference with the system clock in memory

ntpd steers your system clock to bring it in sync with a time-base
(usually UTC).

> and the clients synchronyse the clock from my server.

You client systems will be able to sync to the ntpd on your server
_after_ the server's ntpd is synced to a time source; either a
locallly attached refclock or a remote time server.

> I read in the doc that xtype = 28 is for SHM memory

The SHM driver is used to allow external processes to send time-stamps
to ntpd via a SHared Memory segment.

The SHM driver is specified, in /etc/ntp.conf, as:

server 127.127.28.n

The shared memory-segment is created with owner-only access for unit 0
(n=0) and 1 (n=1) , and world access for unit 2 (n=2) and 3 (n=3).

> Can I use this type to store the clock of my server afer synchrosination
> with the RH2000 ?

ntpd uses the time stamps acquired through the SHared Memory segment to
steer, or discipline, your system clock.

Start at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver28.html

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>