[ntp:questions] Inexpensive home reference clock - WWVB/CDMA?

Pete Stephenson pete+usenet at heypete.com
Wed Jul 11 23:44:23 UTC 2007

In article <000001c7bc3a$16717d90$0a00a8c0 at Inspiron>,
 jason at extremeoverclocking.com (Jason Rabel) wrote:

> Okay, that's pretty understandable situation. I don't know how sensitive
> those devices are, but you could try a high-gain timing antenna (I think
> they are rated at like 38dB gain - usually about $40 on eBay) with a timing
> receiver (I've seen the Motorola VP for $8 on eBay). Once your 3D position
> is determined then all you would need is one satellite for timing.
>
> If you still have long outages then you could get a GPSDO package which will
> 'flywheel' via an ovenized oscillator when there are no satellites.
>
> That's my last thoughts on GPS. I won't keep trying to push the issue. ;)

Interesting. The Motorola VP is available for about $8 on eBay right
now, but it requires various electronic assembly to get it to interface
with the computer.

The TAPR TAC-2 kit (sadly, now discontinued) looks like an ideal thing
to do, but they don't make it anymore. I'd definitely be interested in
buying such a kit (with a bit of a premium for already-assembled,
ready-to-connect ones) if anyone here has one. If someone has such a
system they'd be willing to sell, drop me an email.

I might be able to swing GPS with such a high-gain antenna, and that'd
probably be preferable to other options as I'm looking to eventually put
such a system up on the NTP pool or listed as a public server -- if the
Beagle solutions are accurate only to 0.1 seconds, that's clearly
insufficiently accurate for my needs.

As for the OS, I currently run Windows on one machine, but have been
toying around with various flavors of Linux (Ubuntu and Debian,
particularly) in a Virtual Machine to see which one I'd like better. I'd
assume that since Ubuntu is based off of Debian, it'd work well...though
probably not in a VM.

--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com