[ntp:questions] Meinberg - GPS170PCI - ntpdate for step sync?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jul 12 15:00:17 UTC 2007

Hi Thierry,

Thierry MARTIN wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I tried and run "ntpd -gq"; my "new" problem is that it takes more than 1
> mn to complete.
> Considering this operation takes place when ntp service is started, this
> is too long.

Did you restart the computer, or did you just restart the NTP daemon?

If you have restarted your computer then the GPS card also restarts, and
ntpd waits until the cards has fully synchronized again.

So maybe you should use the mbgsetsystime utility to set the initial system
time. This doesn't wait until the GPS card is fully synchronized because
the time from the GPS card's RTC is good enough as a startup for ntpd.

However, ntpd will wait anyway until the card is synchronized, before it
accepts the card as time source.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki