[ntp:questions] Installing more stable oscillator?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Sat Jul 14 09:58:16 UTC 2007

"Pete Stephenson" <pete+usenet at heypete.com> wrote in message
news:pete+usenet-4D0B7C.18434213072007 at news.lga.highwinds-media.com...
[...]
> I guess my unasked question was, "How can one build a better quality,
> more stable time source?"

> [Is it] possible to replace the computer's crystal oscillator with an
> ovenized quartz oscillator?

Would you have to replace the computer's crystal for that? You could
try to 'ovenize' the one it has.

There are limitations, of course. You'd have to locate it, and
control its temperature, probably not at several hundred degrees but
at room temperature or below. It would be less efficient than only
cooling or heating a crystal unit.

Keeping a room at a constant temperature might actually be easier
than the other thing you could do - not run *any* other services
on the computer. No cron at 3am. (Alternatively, make it run at 100%
CPU always. Perhaps Seti at home would be _good_ for stability.)

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink