[ntp:questions] Installing more stable oscillator?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Jul 14 20:41:17 UTC 2007

Pete,

Some years ago we eviscerated the 2-MHz timer oscillator on a SPARC IPC
and substituted a TCXO. There is even an enable bit for it in the
ntp_adjtime() system call. The oscillator frequency was crudely
disciplined, but effective. Today I would use a Direct Digiral Synthesis
(DDS) chip and TCXO.

It's not too hard to have the kernel read an external device, such as an
IRIG or GPS card, but you have to be careful that the kernel software
clock stays in sync. Our original design phase-locked the kernel
software clock to the IRIG board and locked that to a cesium oscillator.
Poul-Henning Kamp has done that in FreeBSD using a rubidium oscillator.

My own rubidium oscillator and, I suspect, P-H's do not have a PPS
output, just a raw 10-MHz signal. However, there is a provision via an
external DC signal to vary the frequency over a small range. So, find a
cheap counter/timer on eBay to divide that signal to 1 PPS. Use a
ADC/DAC add-in card on your computer to drive the rubidium frequency
control. Modify the kernel ntp_adjime() routine to send offsets to the
DAC. Use a poll interval on the high side to match the Allan intercept.

There are other ways to skin this cat, of course.

Dave