[ntp:questions] Installing more stable oscillator?

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Sun Jul 15 04:10:00 UTC 2007

In article <pete+usenet-7860D5.19594514072007 at news.lga.highwinds-media.com>,
Pete Stephenson  <pete+usenet at heypete.com> wrote:
>In article <f7bcdq$fq3$1 at scrotar.nss.udel.edu>,
> "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

>> My own rubidium oscillator and, I suspect, P-H's do not have a PPS
>> output, just a raw 10-MHz signal.
>
>Indeed, I saw this on a few of the rubidium oscillators I saw on eBay. I
>was curious if there was some way to have NTP use a 10MHz signal rather
>than 1 PPS

PHK, as I recall, built an FPGA device with several counters on it
that could be driven by the Rb oscillator, and could be latched and
read very quickly over the PCI bus.  He wrote a paper about using it
to measure interrupt latency, if it's the same one as I'm thinking.

(Certainly far beyond my ability....)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
wollman at csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry