[ntp:questions] Installing more stable oscillator?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Mon Jul 16 01:29:52 UTC 2007

>> Just patch the kernel to use the new clock for timekeeping.

>Ah, see, my familiarity with Linux does not extend to kernel patching.
>If I knew how, that'd be something I'd definitely do.

>Are you aware of any references that might be helpful?

The kernel sources are readily available.
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/

google will probably find lots of discussion about how to
configure and build a kernel.

It's a bit of black magic until you have done it a few times.
I suggest keeping notes that are good enough to jog your memory
a few months from now if you want to do it again.

You also have to learn to tell grub to boot your new kernel
and/or backup to one that worked if your new one is buggy.

I think the Linux 2.6 kernel for PCs uses only the TSC for timekeeping.
Sources are in .../arch/i386/kernel/tsc.c