[ntp:questions] Installing more stable oscillator?

Pete Stephenson pete+usenet at heypete.com
Mon Jul 16 03:35:54 UTC 2007

In article <heCdnZs0Ysk2UwfbnZ2dnUVZ_qninZ2d at megapath.net>,
 hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) wrote:

> The GPS 18 is a modern GPS receiver.  It's reasonably good.
> It's probably as good as any other low cost (aka consumer grade)
> timing receiver.

Excellent. Right now, I have no need for sub-microsecond accuracy. Heck,
I don't really have a technical need for sub-second accuracy, but it's
fun to try.

The computer using the receiver will be added to the NTP pool, but with
internet latency and whatnot, I doubt that a +/- 1uS difference will
even be noticed, let alone a +/- 10uS.

> You might try a modern GPS navigation unit in your apartment
> and see if it gets a signal.  If you don't have one, maybe you
> can borrow one fron a friemd.

I have a Garmin eTrex Yellow that gets pretty good signal outside, but I
believe it's just a passive antenna. It gets no signal inside. There's
an ideal spot on an out-of-the-way steel railing[1] where the magnetic
GPS 18 could be mounted with a clear view of about 70% of the sky.

[1] Not a hand rail. It's about 10 feet from a small set of stairs where
all the foot traffic goes, and is basically to prevent stupid people
from falling down a small (three foot) drop. There's no foot or vehicle
traffic anywhere near it, and one needs to cross some pointy rocks to
get to the railing.

--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com