[ntp:questions] Installing more stable oscillator?

Pete Stephenson pete+usenet at heypete.com
Mon Jul 16 03:49:16 UTC 2007

In article <ksimi.23865$p8.21048 at text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
 "David J Taylor"
 <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

> It is certainly not as sensitive as the active antenna on my other GPS
> system.  The latter will work indoors (at the top of the house, through
> the roof material) quite comfortably, whereas the GPS-18 needs a direct
> view of some clear sky.  At one stage, I had the GPS-18 just outside the
> window with a 50% maximum sky view:

Very promising indeed. I presume the GPS 18 is rated for outdoor service
in all weather? Here in Tucson, AZ, we can have a wide range of
temperatures (usually from "hot" to "make the giant ball of nuclear fire
in the sky go away") and it can rain from time to time (as I type this,
it's pouring rain outside).

I have zero familiarity with FreeBSD, but a fair degree of patience and
a goodly amount of beer in the fridge. The configuring of NTP itself
shouldn't be a problem, and the hardware issues relating to getting the
GPS unit wired up and connected should be reasonably easy[1].

I'm ashamed to admit that the bulk of my computer experience is with
Windows and Mac OS systems, and I've only recently begun to tinker a bit
with Debian and Ubuntu linux (specifically with the apt-get method of
software installation). FreeBSD looks a bit scary and different.

This'll be fun.

[1] I have some friends at the chemistry department electronics shop at
the University of Arizona who said I can use their stuff at no cost, and
can pester them for knowledge as needed. Hooray for previously working
in the Computer & Graphics Facility right above them.

--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com