[ntp:questions] Installing more stable oscillator?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Mon Jul 16 08:40:20 UTC 2007

>> Suppose I build something like that.  Is there anything I should
>> tinker with to tell ntpd that it has a (very) stable local clock?
>
>fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 1. (-:
>
>In fact, isn't this how stratum 0s are born?

That's not the case I was interested in.

I was thinking about a PC that had a "clock" with a
very stable frequency but the system didn't know
when the seconds ticked.  There are no PPS markers or
packets with a date/time in them.

The current system has to decide if an error is because
the clock frequency is off or if the frequency is OK
but the clock ticks are off.  The clock frequency
changes significantly with temperature.

I'm asking about a setup where the clock frequency is
stable but may not be exactly when you calculate by
looking at the number on the package.  You would still
need a "drift" mechanism, but it would change very slowly.