[ntp:questions] Is the message Interrupted system call mean a problem in NTP setup

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jul 20 02:56:18 UTC 2007

Rejean wrote:
> I started ntp in my linux box like this:  ntpd -D99
>
> I want to syncronize with a GPS only connected to the serial port
> My ntp.conf file is:
> fudge 127.127.20.0 nopeer calibrate monitor ntp stats
> server 127.127.20.0 mode 1 version 4 prefer
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> logfile /var/log/ntp
> logconfig =all
>

> Output from ntpd is shown below. In the standard output i'm getting
> the error "addto_syslog: select(): nfound=-1, error: Interrupted
> system call". What doest it mean. Should I worry about this error. For
> a c++ programmer like me, an error on select(), mean a server
> disconnect from a tcp connection !!! Is that true ?

It just shows how silly it is for people to raise the debug level to
maximum and then be unable to interpret the results. Those messages are
for debug purposes only. If there was a real problem you'd see them in
your syslog without setting a debug level.

For a c++ programmer you should be looking up the error message and
understanding what it means. Are you aware that NTP doesn't use TCP but
only UDP?

Danny