[ntp:questions] Wrong time after changing hardware

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Jul 20 10:43:11 UTC 2007

Marc,

Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running a NTP server on one of my Linux servers that distribute time
> in our local network. But since I changed Mainboard/CPU/RAM on that
> machine, the machine is allways having a time in future.
>
> When I restart the NTP service, the time is sycronized again. But allready
> after 12h there is a drift difference of about +6 seconds. Meanwhile I
> reinstalled the service, but that didn't made any changes. Before
> switching to the new hardware, it run fine for about 1.5 years.
>
> Any idea?
>
> The server is running Suse 10.0 with xntp 4.2.0a.

This does not seem to be a NTP problem (you are running ntp-4.2.0a though
SuSE calls the packet xntp-...).

I'm pretty sure the kernel shipped with SuSE 10.0 has insufficient or no
support for the timers on your new mainboard which are used to implement
the system clock.

In this case the NTP daemon has no chance to discipline the clock properly.
May be you should use a newer distribution or at least kernel. The OpenSUSE
Live DVD might be helpful for a quick test.

Regards,

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki