[ntp:questions] Wrong time after changing hardware

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 20 16:37:29 UTC 2007

Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running a NTP server on one of my Linux servers that distribute time
> in our local network. But since I changed Mainboard/CPU/RAM on that
> machine, the machine is allways having a time in future.
>
> When I restart the NTP service, the time is sycronized again. But
> allready after 12h there is a drift difference of about +6 seconds.
> Meanwhile I reinstalled the service, but that didn't made any changes.
> Before switching to the new hardware, it run fine for about 1.5 years.
>
> Any idea?
>
> The server is running Suse 10.0 with xntp 4.2.0a.
>
> Regards
> Marc

If you look at the file where ntpd stores the frequency correction, I
suspect you will find a number with a large absolute value.  The maximum
frequency error that ntpd can correct is 500 Parts Per Million (PPM).
Ntpd may behave badly if this error is greater than 300 or 400 PPM.  A
typical computer clock has a frequency error of less than 50 PPM, but
almost certainly greater than zero in absolute value.