[ntp:questions] Wrong time after changing hardware

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Jul 23 11:18:34 UTC 2007

On 2007-07-23, Marc Muehlfeld <marc.muehlfeld at web.de> wrote:

> I had bought and installed this mainboard on two other servers and
> there I have the same problem. Without syncronizing the time, the time
> is allways wrong of about 6-10 sec. per 12h. The mainboard, I use is a
> Supermicro PDSME+ E3010.
>
> Currently my workaround is, to restart ntpd every hour on the server.
> At this time the time is sycronized. Then the other machines who
> syncronize with my ntp server via ntpdate, get the right time. Not a
> fine solution, but at the moment, it works.

If the drift is always in the same direction you may need to change your
tick value.

One way of doing this is discussed in the "Mac Mini (and
other machines having poor TICK settings) section of
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/KnownHardwareIssues

This is also discussed at
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ManualCalibration

And at http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/05/msg00556.html