[ntp:questions] System Time (date) Does Not Agree With Hardware Clock Time (hwclock)

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jul 23 21:22:10 UTC 2007

In article <ywn9sl7enaq2.fsf at ntp1.isc.org>,
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:

> In one case you are looking at UTC time (localized for your timezone) and in
> the other case you are looking at TAI time (localized for your timezone).

Specifically, I believe that this will happen if you use the "true"
Olsen timezone files, rather than the POSIX ones.  Whilst there is a
small clique of fervent believers in the use of the "true" ones, most
of the world uses the POSIX ones and you will find that all file times
are also out by the number of leap seconds, as well.

The Unix version of ntpd assumes a POSIX compliant system.