[ntp:questions] System Time (date) Does Not Agree With Hardware Clock Time (hwclock)

gldickens3 gldickens3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 02:08:08 UTC 2007

> Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > In one case you are looking at UTC time (localized for your timezone) and in
> > the other case you are looking at TAI time (localized for your timezone).
>
> Then David Woolley wrote:
> Specifically, I believe that this will happen if you use the "true"
> Olsen timezone files, rather than the POSIX ones.  <snip>
> The Unix version of ntpd assumes a POSIX compliant system.

Problem solved.  Thanks!  Harlan and David, you guys nailed my problem
dead on.  This has been driving me nuts for the past week or so and it
never occurred to me that there were two different standards for
measuring time which, in my case here in mid July, 2007, differ by 23
seconds.  In any event, my Linux system had been using the Olsen
timezone files and as soon as I set it up to use Posix/US/Eastern then
everything synchronized perfectly.  Finally, my server is reporting
system time values that agree with the rest of the world.

Also, as Steve Kostecke recommended, I downloaded and updated my ntp
installation to ntp-4.2.4p3.

This issue may be mundane to most of you but ntp and the challenge of
keeping accurate time is new for me and this problem really had me
stumped.

Again, thanks to everybody that posted suggestions!

Gordon Dickens