[ntp:questions] Wrong time after changing hardware

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Jul 25 11:33:56 UTC 2007

On 2007-07-25, Marc Muehlfeld <marc.muehlfeld at web.de> wrote:

> I found the problem.

Great!

> I overwrote the restrict line (seems to be close to the date I changed
> the mainboard) that allows the remote ntp server, where I get the time
> from, to set my local clock.

Remote time servers do not "set your clock"; ntpd _polls_ the time
sources spedified in ntp.conf and uses the collected data to discipline
(i.e. slew or step) your clock towards a time-base (usually UTC).

Restrict lines are used to block the transfer of packets between your
ntpd and arbitrary IP addresses/networks. The accesss control options
used on the restrict lines are used to specify which types of packets
are (dis)allowed.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>