[ntp:questions] Wrong time after changing hardware

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 12:54:53 UTC 2007

Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Steve Kostecke schrieb:
>
>> Remote time servers do not "set your clock"; ntpd _polls_ the time
>> sources spedified in ntp.conf and uses the collected data to discipline
>> (i.e. slew or step) your clock towards a time-base (usually UTC).
>>
>> Restrict lines are used to block the transfer of packets between your
>> ntpd and arbitrary IP addresses/networks. The accesss control options
>> used on the restrict lines are used to specify which types of packets
>> are (dis)allowed.
>

> Ok. But it's right, that I have to set restricts for the ntp server I
> get the time from, too, right? At least here it start working again,
> when I do.

Ntpd will work quite well with NO restrict statements at all!  Restrict
statements solve a problem that many people don't have.  Used
incorrectly, they can cause more problems than they solve.

If you use something like "restrict default ignore" then you must also
have a restrict statement for each server you wish to use, with the
proper keywords to allow your ntpd to use that server.

If you actually have a problem that restrict can solve, read the
documentation with great care!