[ntp:questions] Wrong time after changing hardware

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Jul 26 12:43:47 UTC 2007

On 2007-07-26, Marc Muehlfeld <marc.muehlfeld at web.de> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke schrieb:
>
>> Restrict lines are used to block the transfer of packets between your

I should have written "control" instead of "block."

>> ntpd and arbitrary IP addresses/networks. The accesss control options
>> used on the restrict lines are used to specify which types of packets
>> are (dis)allowed.
>
> Ok. But it's right, that I have to set restricts for the ntp server I
> get the time from, too, right?

That depends on your default restriction.

If your default restriction allows time service (i.e. does not contain
'ignore' or 'noserve' or 'notrust') then you don't need restrict lines
for each remote time-server.

If your default restriction disallows time service (i.e. _does_ contain
'ignore' or 'noserve' or 'notrust') then you _will_ need modify the
restrictions for each remote time-server (wih a suitable restrict line)
and/or configure NTP Authentication.

Selecting the proper default restriction is discussed at
http://support.ntp.org/Support/AccessRestrictions

>At least here it start working again, when I do.

Because your default restriction is 'restrict default ignore'.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>