[ntp:questions] Is there any non-obvious reason why NTP won't increase the polling rate on a new system?

Pete Stephenson pete+usenet at heypete.com
Thu Jul 26 18:01:48 UTC 2007

In article <viokn4-qar.ln1 at whisper.very.softly>,
 Rikishi 42 <fsck_spam at telenet.be> wrote:

> Let's no do so yet. Why don't we keep posting about it, until the value
> reaches the desired level?

Well, the server's proceeded to scale up to the proper timing intervals
(1024 seconds), so that's good.

Oddly, the ntp user didn't have write permissions for the ntp.drift
file, so after every server restart it'd revert back to 0.000, causing
NTP to go into its "finding the drift frequency" mode for a while.

I'm not sure why it took 13+ hours to go back to normal operation, but I
gave the ntp user write permission to the file and have since restarted
the daemon a few times for various reasons, and everything seems to be
working just fine.

Huzzah.

--
Pete Stephenson