[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

Heiko Gerstung heiko_removeme_.gerstung at meinberg.de
Fri Jul 27 12:46:28 UTC 2007

gldickens3 schrieb:
> Hello Heiko,
>
> I installed the new ntp version ntp-4.2.4p3 at 1.1502-foehr-o-win32-
> setup.exe for Windows and it works great. Thanks!
>
> I have been testing it on four Windows XP machines one of which is a
> laptop.  The improvements over the earlier version 4.2.0a are
> significant specifically because of the bug 622 fix.  I have
> successfully tested this new version as follows:
> - Service auto-start on boot up
> - Disconnect/reconnect to network.
> - Hibernate/awaken
> - Standby/awaken

Sounds great! Thanks for testing!

> I do have three issues that I have discovered.
Oh, OK ... :-)

> My first issue is the installation problem that you are already
> discussing. I ended up just doing a complete uninstall/reinstall on
> all of my machines which worked fine.
Yes. The bug is that the upgrade mechanism tries to detect if you have installed
OpenSSL with the installer and if it thinks that you did not, it will skip
updating OpenSSL which in turn results in this unknown symbol (because the old
OpenSSL library is still used....).  I fixed that and uploaded a new version of
the foehr installer without bumping the version number. You can see that you
have the fixed version by looking at the digital signature which should be dated
July, 27th 2007 ... If you have a signature from yesterday, it is the first
version which still includes this bug.

> My second issue is that on the initial boot of my machines the ntpd
> service successfully autostarts but it only includes one (1) ntp time
> server even though I have seven (7)  time servers in my configuration
> file. After which, if I restart the ntpd service then all seven of my
> ntp time servers are included. I have rebooted several times and I
> have been able to consistently reproduce this phenomena. Also, I had
> previously been running version ntp-4.2.4p3-RC1 at foehr-o-win32-
> setup.exe for a few days since you announced it on this forum.  With
> that version, on initial boot the ntpd service only included three (3)
> out of the seven (7) time servers in my configuration file. Likewise,
> a restart of the ntpd service would then include all seven ntp time
> servers.  I find this very strange...
Did you specifiy your missing servers by hostname or IP address in your ntp.conf
file? I could imagine that they are not used because the DNS service is not up
and running when NTP is started.

..

> My third issue is minor. That is, the "ntpd --version" command does
> not appear to work. The command hesitates for about 10 seconds and
> then says: "Use -d, -q, --help or -n to run from the command line."
> This happens regardless if the ntpd service is already running or
> stopped.
OK, I will have a look at this and probably file a bug.

Best Regards,
Heiko