[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 15:03:29 UTC 2007

gldickens3 wrote:
[]
> Hi Heiko,
>
> Yep, I had specified the host name instead of the IP addresses for
> five of the seven time servers. As soon as I changed time server host
> name to IP addresses in my ntp.conf file then all time servers were
> then used on the initial boot of my machine.  Problem solved!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon

Gordon,

This might explain what I've seen in my portable (which I don't use a
lot).  I have created a desktop shortcut to stop and restart NTP once the
PC is fully up and talking to its wireless network.

Should NTP have a dependency on DNS being working, before the NTP service
starts?  IIRC, it does depend on TCP being running, but it looks as if
that isn't enough.  It's as if it should depend on the DNS service being
running, but of course many PCs don't run DNS as a service.....

Heiko,

I'll wait until a few more issues are resolved before testing on the
Windows 2000 system again.

Cheers,
David