[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 07:43:55 UTC 2007

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> Hi Gurus of Time!
>
> I am very happy to announce that we just released a new stable
> version of our NTP Installer for Windows, including ntp-4.2.4p3 and
> openssl-0.9.8e.
[]
> Best Regards,
>  Heiko

Heiko,

There /may/ be another issue with Windows 2000, in that NTP is producing
event-log messages about not being able to write ntp.drift.TEMP.  I
checked the ntp.drift (actually in \WinNT\ in this installation) and it
didn't have a permissions entry for the ntp account, so I have now changed
the permissions to all-users, full control.  It's about 30 minutes before
the next error message is due, so I'll try and check back then....

No, it seems to still want to write to ntp.drift.TEMP rather than
ntp.drift, so I've started NTP after checking the permissions on
ntp.drift.  Check back in just over an hour....

Well, now it /is/ writing to ntp.drift.TEMP, but seem to have deleted the
file ntp.drift.  I don't understand this behaviour.

Version:
  ntpd 4.2.4p3-RC1 at foehr-o Jun 29 13:52:39 (UTC+02:00) 2007  (10)

Cheers,
David