[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Jul 28 18:01:50 UTC 2007

David J Taylor wrote:

> Should NTP have a dependency on DNS being working, before the NTP service
> starts?  IIRC, it does depend on TCP being running, but it looks as if
> that isn't enough.  It's as if it should depend on the DNS service being
> running, but of course many PCs don't run DNS as a service.....

You can add a dependency on the DNS client service for NTP by adding
this to the service on Windows. I assume that the installer doesn't do
this. There is obviously a dependency on being able to resolve names if
you use that in your configuration file. Note that the DNS server also
needs to be running as the DNS client needs to contact the server to
resolve names.

Danny