[ntp:questions] Initialize NTP request

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 02:29:32 UTC 2007

Dreamchaser wrote:
> I'm sorry if this not the correct newsgroup, but I'm not sure which one
> it would be.
>
> I am working on an implementation of NTP for an application that I am
> writing. I can't figure out how to get a response from a NTP server on
> the Internet (time-a.nist.gov). I have read through the RFC on the NTP
> protocol and still can't figure it out. The RFC says to send a request
> to the server to get a response...Ok...What is the request? With a TCP
> connection just the fact of opening the connection is the request But
> with UDP I realize that I have to send something to get a response.
>
> Can anybody help? Thanks.
>
> DC

RFC-1305 documents the format of the NTP packect.  You send a packet as
your request, the server time stamps it and bounces it back to you.  All
the details are in the RFC if you read it.

The source code for the referernce implementation is available and
should explain ALL the details if you can read C.

See http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads