[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

Heiko Gerstung heiko_removeme_.gerstung at meinberg.de
Mon Jul 30 13:27:56 UTC 2007

David J Taylor schrieb:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Heiko Gerstung wrote:
>>> Hi Gurus of Time!
>>>
>>> I am very happy to announce that we just released a new stable
>>> version of our NTP Installer for Windows, including ntp-4.2.4p3 and
>>> openssl-0.9.8e.
>> []
>>> Best Regards,
>>>  Heiko
>> Heiko,
>>
>> There /may/ be another issue with Windows 2000, in that NTP is
>> producing event-log messages about not being able to write
>> ntp.drift.TEMP.  I checked the ntp.drift (actually in \WinNT\ in this
>> installation) and it didn't have a permissions entry for the ntp
>> account, so I have now changed the permissions to all-users, full
>> control.  It's about 30 minutes before the next error message is due,
>> so I'll try and check back then....
>> No, it seems to still want to write to ntp.drift.TEMP rather than
>> ntp.drift, so I've started NTP after checking the permissions on
>> ntp.drift.  Check back in just over an hour....
>>
>> Well, now it /is/ writing to ntp.drift.TEMP, but seem to have deleted
>> the file ntp.drift.  I don't understand this behaviour.
>>
>> Version:
>>  ntpd 4.2.4p3-RC1 at foehr-o Jun 29 13:52:39 (UTC+02:00) 2007  (10)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> [Danny - you keep writing to me by e-mail, and not on the
> comp.protocols.time.ntp.  Is the gateway broken?]
>
>> Please post the actual error message from the event log rather than
>> just describing it. It's hard to track down without the text.
>>
>> Danny
>
> Danny, here is the error message - I didn't post it as it didn't seem very
> informative:
>
> "can't open E:\WINNT\ntp.drift.TEMP: Input/output error"

You have to assign your NTP account write permissions for the directory you want
to store your driftfile in. When writing a new driftfile, the daemon (as far as
I remember correctly) creates a temporary file (ntp.drift.temp) and afterwards
renames it to ntp.drift ...

The installer uses the "Program Files\ntp\etc" directory as a location for the
drift file and assigns the necessary permissions to the service account it
eventually has created.

Best Regards,
Heiko