[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Jul 30 13:47:01 UTC 2007

David J Taylor wrote:
> []
>> Should NTP have a dependency on DNS being working, before the NTP
>> service starts?  IIRC, it does depend on TCP being running, but it
>> looks as if that isn't enough.  It's as if it should depend on the
>> DNS service being running, but of course many PCs don't run DNS as a
>> service.....
>
> Another Danny Meyer e-mail response:
>
>> You can add a dependency on the DNS client service for NTP by adding
>> this to the service on Windows. I assume that the installer doesn't do
>> this. There is obviously a dependency on being able to resolve names
>> if you use that in your configuration file. Note that the DNS server
>> also needs to be running as the DNS client needs to contact the
>> server to resolve names.
>>
>> Danny
>
> Danny,
>
> Thanks for that.
>

> Heiko,
>
> Could you check what service dependancies should be set, especially for
> those of use who want to use names rather than IP numbers for our servers?

Well you can look yourself. Just go into the Services select the service
and go into properties. Look at the Dependencies tab and it will tell
you what it depends on. Oddly enough there is no way of adding a
dependency in that tab so you have to go to the registry to do it. I
don't personally run a DNS client but then I also run BIND 9.

Danny