[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 14:47:26 UTC 2007

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> David J Taylor schrieb:
>> David J Taylor wrote:

>>> []
>>> Heiko,
>>>
>>> There /may/ be another issue with Windows 2000, in that NTP is
>>> producing event-log messages about not being able to write
>>> ntp.drift.TEMP.  I checked the ntp.drift (actually in \WinNT\ in
>>> this installation) and it didn't have a permissions entry for the
>>> ntp account, so I have now changed the permissions to all-users,
>>> full control.  It's about 30 minutes before the next error message
>>> is due, so I'll try and check back then....
>>> No, it seems to still want to write to ntp.drift.TEMP rather than
>>> ntp.drift, so I've started NTP after checking the permissions on
>>> ntp.drift.  Check back in just over an hour....
>>>
>>> Well, now it /is/ writing to ntp.drift.TEMP, but seem to have
>>> deleted the file ntp.drift.  I don't understand this behaviour.
>>>
>>> Version:
>>>  ntpd 4.2.4p3-RC1 at foehr-o Jun 29 13:52:39 (UTC+02:00) 2007  (10)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> David
>>
>> [Danny - you keep writing to me by e-mail, and not on the
>> comp.protocols.time.ntp.  Is the gateway broken?]
>>
>>> Please post the actual error message from the event log rather than
>>> just describing it. It's hard to track down without the text.
>>>
>>> Danny
>>
>> Danny, here is the error message - I didn't post it as it didn't
>> seem very informative:
>>
>> "can't open E:\WINNT\ntp.drift.TEMP: Input/output error"
>
> You have to assign your NTP account write permissions for the
> directory you want to store your driftfile in. When writing a new
> driftfile, the daemon (as far as I remember correctly) creates a
> temporary file (ntp.drift.temp) and afterwards renames it to
> ntp.drift ...
> The installer uses the "Program Files\ntp\etc" directory as a
> location for the drift file and assigns the necessary permissions to
> the service account it eventually has created.
>
> Best Regards,
> Heiko

Heiko,

As you will probably have realised, this is an upgrade from an earlier
version of NTP which used \WinNT\ rather than \Program Files\, so the
config file was pointing to somewhere other than where the installer was
expecting.  What I've tried now is copying the ntp.drift.temp file to
ntp.drift, and assigning it all users, full control.

Perhaps in this case, a fresh install would have been a better idea, just
adding the servers and logging to the ntp.conf.  The other systems have
all been a fresh install with your installer, as they have been fresh
installs of XP made since your installer was released.  I do now vaguely
recall having to go through this before, whereas your installer handles it
all for you.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
David