[ntp:questions] New features for Windows NTP Installer

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Tue Jul 31 19:39:14 UTC 2007

Hi!

I am currently working on a new version of the installer and would like
to hear any feature requests you might have.

At the moment I am working on adding Start Menu entries (can be
deselected of course but will be enabled per default) for

- starting/stopping/restarting the service (using micro batch files a la
"net start ntp"
- basic NTP status monitoring (running "ntpq -p" in a DOS box, requery
every 10s)
- documentation (official HTML docs if installed plus Installer Readme)
- weblinks (to www.ntp.org, www.ntp.isc.org, www.pool.ntp.org and
www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm)
- the configuration file (allows you to edit it with the assigned
program, e.g. for ".conf" files)

This will add a little bit more visibility to NTP on Windows machines,
at least for the regular users.

I will do some tests with the service dependencies (checking out
DNSCache for example) on various flavors of Windows and will add the
possibility to take care of the Windows firewall settings during an
unattended install (the current version of the installer checks for the
firewall settings during an interactive installation).

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. This would also
be a very good time to report any bugs you still see in the current
installer version!

Cheers,
  Heiko