[ntp:questions] New features for Windows NTP Installer

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 19:53:03 UTC 2007

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am currently working on a new version of the installer and would
> like to hear any feature requests you might have.
>
> At the moment I am working on adding Start Menu entries (can be
> deselected of course but will be enabled per default) for
>
> - starting/stopping/restarting the service (using micro batch files a
> la "net start ntp"
> - basic NTP status monitoring (running "ntpq -p" in a DOS box, requery
> every 10s)
> - documentation (official HTML docs if installed plus Installer
> Readme) - weblinks (to www.ntp.org, www.ntp.isc.org, www.pool.ntp.org
> and
> www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm)
> - the configuration file (allows you to edit it with the assigned
> program, e.g. for ".conf" files)
>
> This will add a little bit more visibility to NTP on Windows machines,
> at least for the regular users.
>
> I will do some tests with the service dependencies (checking out
> DNSCache for example) on various flavors of Windows and will add the
> possibility to take care of the Windows firewall settings during an
> unattended install (the current version of the installer checks for
> the firewall settings during an interactive installation).
>
> If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. This would also
> be a very good time to report any bugs you still see in the current
> installer version!
>
> Cheers,
>  Heiko

Heiko,

All sounds good.

With my own "restart" file, I do use the Windows "sleep" command (part of
the resource kit), so that you can:

net stop ntp
sleep 3
net start ntp
sleep 3
ntpq -p
sleep 7

giving you the chance to see that it has started properly, and that some
servers have been found.  I needed this on my portable, as NTP would try
and start before DNS was working (i.e. before the wireless link had been
established).

You /might/ want to add an association between .conf files and Notepad, so
that Notepad becomes the .conf file editor.  This should probably be
optional, but defaulted "on".

I also like the idea of a link to the official documentation on the Web.
Wherever that is.  <G>

I wouldn't add too many menu entries, though.

Cheers,
David