[ntp:questions] A Suggestion For Abolishing the Leap Second

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Sun Jun 3 00:54:34 UTC 2007

> I can understand that, and I do not advocate that any different
> frequency be distributed.

So you are wanting *another* time scale for frequency applications? After
all, Hz is just cycles per second (in your world I wouldn't know which
second it would be). Wanting to redefine how many oscillations there are in
everything for a *new second* is not practical by any stretch of the
imagination.

> I understand this. What I have tried to do - and I realize that my
> proposed scheme may be a bit too baroque and complicated to be
> seriously considered - is to provide a scheme that minimizes the
> unhappiness.

Seriously considered? The more I read it, the more I think it is just a bad
joke taken too far. Instead of being happy with just adding a leap second
every now and then, you want to screw with and break every time scale
possible and every piece of electronic equipment on earth. We might as well
just go back to the stone age and use sun dials.