[ntp:questions] A Suggestion For Abolishing the Leap Second

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200706 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 16:30:33 UTC 2007

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk> writes:
> But, yes, NTP operators and perhaps implementation do need to leap seconds
> better than the last time.

I'm a firm believer in simplifying the low-level protocols.  The
simpler they are the less likely that someone will screw them up.
This goes doubly for stuff that one only gets to test once every 1.5
years. (Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if ntp got out of the leap
seconds business and just distributed GPS time or something else with
with a consistently incrementing time scale.  Make the leap seconds
the responsibility of some user-level code just like DST is now.)

-wolfgang
Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html