[ntp:questions] A Suggestion For Abolishing the Leap Second

Casper H.S.Dik Casper.Dik at Sun.COM
Tue Jun 5 17:37:09 UTC 2007

Rob van der Putten <rob at sput.nl> writes:

>Whenever politicians decide to change the date on which summer time
>starts or ends, new timezone files are distributed and installed. So the
>infrastructure to deal with changes in the relationship between
>international and local time is already there.

But it barely works as witnessed when the US changed the rules
yet again; it caused Californian off-peak rates to shift an
hour because the meters could not deal with the change
(so the off-peak rate was charged for some of peak and vice
versa)

>And if the OS already deals with translation from and to local time, why
>can't it deal with leap seconds in a similar manner. It already adds a
>number of seconds to the international time anyway.
>Having a fixed second length really is the cleanest way of doing things.

Because the on-disk timestamp format cannot be retroactively changed.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.