[ntp:questions] A Suggestion For Abolishing the Leap Second

mills at udel.edu mills at udel.edu
Wed Jun 6 16:52:47 UTC 2007

Guy,

The precision kernel modifications implemented by me and in most current
Unix kernels operate exactly as I specified. The 61st second is the
second in which the clock is stopped or almost stopped. The "almost"
refers to the Lamport provision that successive readings of the clock
are monotone definite increasing. If the clock is read during the
stopped second, it inreases by one LSB for each read. Thus, at the end
of the second a small correction might be necessary. See the white paper
on the NTP project page.

Dave