[ntp:questions] The Leap Millisecond

oriel36 kelleher.gerald at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:26:03 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 11:27 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
wrote:
> oriel36 wrote:
> > Thank God there was always room for brilliant men to create the
> > timekeeping systems which create the equable 24 hour day,create the
> > seperate calendar system with enough sense to know the difference.It
> > means that people will enjoy the careful set of astronomical
> > principles set out even though presently a rogue group have done the
> > unexplicable things in tying axial rotation directly to a celestial
> > sphere geometry -
>
> > "Flamsteed used the star Sirius as a timekeeper correcting the
> > sidereal
> > time obtained from successive transits of the star into solar time,
> > the
> > difference of course being due to the rotation of the Earth round the
> > Sun. Flamsteed wrote in a letter in 1677:-
>
> > ... our clocks kept so good a correspondence with the Heavens that I
> > doubt it not but they would prove the revolutions of the Earth to be
> > isochronical... "
>
> > This IERS business is a foolish hoax on humanity born of that terrible
> > error by Flamsteed , designed more for pretensious purposes while
> > being a meaningless exercise in astrological geometry .People are
> > better served by becoming familiar with  the equable 24 hour cycle and
> > how it comes from determination of the variations in the natural noon
> > cycle.
>
> > All the worthless doctorates here would be a lot less worthless if
> > they at least attempted to promote the proper principles  based on a
> > 24 hour/360 degree correlation by acknowledging that it does not
> > represent the rotation of the Earth but rather a convenient
> > heliocentric adaption of the average 24 hour day transfered to the
> > axial cycle .
>
> > Where,in God's name, are all the astronomers who have the power to
> > overule this 'sidereal' nonsense ?.This is the actual creation of the
> > 24 hour day by brilliant men I am trying to discuss and not some
> > minor trivia yet nobody here takes it seriously.What is going on with
> > people ?.
>
> > On Jun 3, 3:30 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote:
>
> >>(While researching this, I came across the leap second list
> >>at [http://www.ee.udel.edu/~mills/leap-seconds.3169152000],
> >>which expired in 2004.  Does anyone know of a newer version?)

> >>An excellent scheme.  Let me be the first to say that I approve.
>
> >>Looking forward to possible objections to certain seconds being
> >>1.001 times longer or shorter than most of the other seconds,
> >>that seems to me to be far less troublesome than having some
> >>minutes be some 1.01666... times longer or shorter than most
> >>of the other minutes using leap seconds.
>
> >>Here is what I like about this scheme:
>
> >>The above scheme and the existing leap second scheme both
> >>result in the exact same length of the millisecond, microsecond,
> >>nanosecond, etc.  Those are much more commonly used than the
> >>second is in the areas of physics and engineering.  In the area
> [...]

The idea that the Earth's rotation is constant via the return of a
distant celestial object to a meridian in 23 hours 56 minutes 04
seconds and subsequently this pretensious fuss over 'leap second'
corrections represents the most visible signs of a serious problem.

To appreciate  the original creation of the 24 hour cycle from
variations in the natural  the noon cycle  should be the  most
enjoyable experience with the only thing to consider being the
variations in the Total length of the natural cycle.Unfortunately the
big institutions  cannot even do this and mix up the total length of
the daily cycle with variations in  seasonal daylight/darkness -

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/980116c.html

When organisations like Nasa cannot explain the simple way in which
the 24 hour day is created let alone how it is applied to clocks,the
axial cycle and terrestrial longitudes as a 24 hour/360 degree
correlation then how is the rest of humanity supposed to appreciate
it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_time

Looking at the  contemporary graphic in the Wikipedia article which
expresses how a location on Earth rotates to noon in 24 hours in order
to justify the rotation to a star in 23 hours 56 minutes 04 seconds is
shocking considering that the rotation of a location to noon has been
known to vary in length from antiquity.The idea of the 24 hours of
Monday elapsing into the 24 hours of Tuesday comes about via the noon
correction which equalises the variations but people are willingly
ignoring that such a correction is required.

The 'leap second' represents the worst part of an error that has
snowballed for the better part of 3 centuries for it represents the
unauthorised hitching of axial and orbital motion directly to the
horror of astrological geometry or rather the return of a star in 23
hours 56 minutes 04 seconds.I am well aware why it is the dominant
conception but I still cannot account for why people are willingly
ignoring the correct core princples and especially when it is
expressed by Huygens in such a magnificent fashion -

http://www.xs4all.nl/~adcs/Huygens/06/kort-E.html

You probably do not believe that a creationist-type situation exists
but I assure you it does and the 'sidereal time' justification
represents that terrible situation.In the absence of any authority to
deal with the matter,it is up to each individual to become familiar
with how the 24 hour dya is created and how it provided humanity with
some of its greatest achievements  such as the invention of accurate
clocks to determine geographical location on the planet.