[ntp:questions] "good enough" ntp configuration

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Fri Jun 8 13:19:04 UTC 2007

Folks,

I'm a simple-minded dweeb looking to provide campus systems with
reasonably accurate clocks.  If campus system clocks are within, say,
two seconds of one another, they'll probably let me keep my job.

I've rummaged through the docs and mailing list, but I haven't really
found an answer to this "good enough" kind of question.  At the moment,
I have a pair of NTP stratum 1 appliances, one GPS, the other CDMA.
These appliances claim to be able to handle approximately 200,000 clients:

  http://www.endruntechnologies.com/time_server_clients.htm

We'd probably be fine with a factor of ten less.

What I'd like to know is, given my desire for sub-two seconds of accuracy
(am i using the correct term for what i want?) am I good enough to just
point clients at the stratum 1 pair?

I don't see any value in building a hierarchical stratum infrastructure.
I've seen several things that have me wondering if it might be wise to
add a third server, but I can't really tell how useful that would be.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mark
---
Mark Boolootian
UC Santa Cruz