[ntp:questions] "good enough" ntp configuration

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Sat Jun 9 02:53:56 UTC 2007

On 2007-06-08, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Mark Boolootian wrote:

>> I'm a simple-minded dweeb looking to provide campus systems with
>> reasonably accurate clocks.  If campus system clocks are within, say,
>> two seconds of one another, they'll probably let me keep my job.
>>
>> I've rummaged through the docs and mailing list, but I haven't really
>> found an answer to this "good enough" kind of question.  At the moment,
>> I have a pair of NTP stratum 1 appliances, one GPS, the other CDMA.

<snip>

>> What I'd like to know is, given my desire for sub-two seconds of
>> accuracy (am i using the correct term for what i want?) am I good
>> enough to just point clients at the stratum 1 pair?
>
> You're probably okay just pointing the whole campus to your two
> servers.

In which case you must ensure that these two servers stay in relatively
close synchronization.

With only two servers of equal strata the clients will not have a
clear best choice. If the servers drift too far apart you could have
cases of inter-client offsets exceeding your stated accuracy.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>