[ntp:questions] Best practice: re-resolve server IP address before each poll/query

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Tue Jun 12 19:18:37 UTC 2007

All,

One of my favourite articles on the interweb is the following (about the
Netgear/UWisc debacle).

  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp

In the list of best practice recommendations it makes about SNTP
implementations, it says:

"SHOULD resolve the server IP address via DNS before each poll/query, so
that the pertinent DNS entries' Time-To-Live values are respected."

I was wondering whether the readership of this forum feels that this
should also apply to NTP implementations.

Cheers, Jan