[ntp:questions] configurations issue for broadcastclient in Linux machine

mike.keighley at adare.com mike.keighley at adare.com
Tue Jun 12 12:54:15 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 8:28 AM
Danny Mayer [mailto:mayer at ntp.isc.org] wrote:

<snip>
> Do you know why it's insisting on sending the packet out to the
> 255.255.255.255 IP Address?
<snip>
> The problem is that cisco seems to use the all broadcast address.

I believe Cisco IOS does indeed broadcast to all-1s by default, but I make
it broadcast to the subnet-broadcast-address like this:

interface FastEthernet0/1
    ip address 172.17.1.1 255.255.255.0
    ip broadcast address 172.17.1.255
    ntp broadcast key 1001 destination 172.17.1.255

ntp authenticate
ntp authentication-key 1001 md5 <password-for-bcasts>
ntp authentication-key 1002 md5 <password-for-peers>
ntp trusted-key 1001
ntp trusted-key 1002
ntp broadcastdelay 3000
ntp server 158.43. etc. etc.
ntp peer 172.17.6.200 key 1002
ntp peer 172.17.7.200 key 1002 etc. etc.

Apologies for being so late responding to this.
I was on the verge of responding, when I discovered my authentication was
"broken".
Hope it is still of interest.

Mike.