[ntp:questions] Windows server sync to LocalCLK

John reply at newsgroup.com
Wed Jun 13 11:04:47 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I tried to start an NTP server on a XP Home box. The time source of this
box is the local clock. Now I have a linux box that tries to sync with
this xp box but it doesn't work for at least 5 minutes of the NTP
service starting. It returns error about stratum being too high.

I've searched around and people are saying that it takes about 5-8
minutes before the server trusts the local clock as the source. Nobody
has said why or if there is a way to fix this.

Can someone provide me with a solution to my problem or even a
explanation as to why I have to wait 5-8 minutes for the clock to sync.

Thanks for any help you may provide.

John.