[ntp:questions] Windows server sync to LocalCLK

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jun 13 12:23:50 UTC 2007

John wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I tried to start an NTP server on a XP Home box. The time source of this
> box is the local clock. Now I have a linux box that tries to sync with
> this xp box but it doesn't work for at least 5 minutes of the NTP
> service starting. It returns error about stratum being too high.
>
> I've searched around and people are saying that it takes about 5-8
> minutes before the server trusts the local clock as the source. Nobody
> has said why or if there is a way to fix this.
>
> Can someone provide me with a solution to my problem or even a
> explanation as to why I have to wait 5-8 minutes for the clock to sync.

First make sure that the Windows Time Service has been disabled.

You didn't say where you got your version of ntp or what version it is.
Is this the one that Meinberg has made available?

Please post your ntp.conf file.

When you say that the time source of this box is the local clock do you
mean that you do not have any external sources? If so it will take time
before it decides to use the local clock and make it available. That's
by design. If this is your configuration is there a reason why you are
NOT using external ntp servers as time sources?

Danny