[ntp:questions] Windows server sync to LocalCLK

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 12:41:07 UTC 2007

John wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I tried to start an NTP server on a XP Home box. The time source of this
> box is the local clock. Now I have a linux box that tries to sync with
> this xp box but it doesn't work for at least 5 minutes of the NTP
> service starting. It returns error about stratum being too high.
>
> I've searched around and people are saying that it takes about 5-8
> minutes before the server trusts the local clock as the source. Nobody
> has said why or if there is a way to fix this.
>
> Can someone provide me with a solution to my problem or even a
> explanation as to why I have to wait 5-8 minutes for the clock to sync.
>

> Thanks for any help you may provide.
>
> John.

The problem is that the server hasn't a clue what time it is and your
Linux box knows it!  Clearly, you don't care what time it is.  Why are
you using NTP?   To synchronize clocks with each other?  Rdate should be
able to do that.

NTP was designed to synchronize clocks to UTC and it does that very well
when properly configured.  Synchronizing clocks TO EACH OTHER was not a
design objective but rather a happy consequence of the postulate that
"things equal to the same thing are equal to each other."

You can set up something called "orphan mode" using NTP.  In orphan
mode, one clock is selected more or less at random to act as the time
source for the herd.  Orphan mode is a recent addition.