[ntp:questions] Windows server sync to LocalCLK

John reply at newsgroup.com
Wed Jun 13 14:59:05 UTC 2007

John wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I tried to start an NTP server on a XP Home box. The time source of this
> box is the local clock. Now I have a linux box that tries to sync with
> this xp box but it doesn't work for at least 5 minutes of the NTP
> service starting. It returns error about stratum being too high.
>
> I've searched around and people are saying that it takes about 5-8
> minutes before the server trusts the local clock as the source. Nobody
> has said why or if there is a way to fix this.
>
> Can someone provide me with a solution to my problem or even a
> explanation as to why I have to wait 5-8 minutes for the clock to sync.
>

> Thanks for any help you may provide.
>
> John.

Guys,

thanks for the answers.

I totally agree with everything you say in the fact that we should be
using an external timesource and if anything, using the linux box as the
server.

Unfortunately an external timesource is not an option as the box won't
have an external internet connection and also no GPS clock etc.....

I used the minpoll option as recommended and it has made a big
difference so I might just stick with that but if my boss decides its
not good enough then i'll move over to another piece of software that is
more appropriate to what I want to do.

Thanks for your help guys,

John