[ntp:questions] prefer in ntp.conf

Paul paul at lavender-fam.net
Wed Jun 13 15:05:50 UTC 2007

I am using a GPS nmea/pps source (lets not go into the heart-ache
involved in getting that working), and a very recent download of ntp
source, with the nmea patch. Obviously I have a few internet sources as
well, but use the prefer keyword for the pps source. Obviously when it
is working the pps is about as accurate as I can get. However when I run
ntpq -p it isn't quite doing as I want.
I want to lock exactly to that pps source WHILE IT IS SENSIBLE, and to
drop back to the internet when it has lost satellites. However ntp
appears to be taking an average, loaded towards the GPS source. When the
GPS looses satellites and goes beserk ntp sensibly drops it as a source.
Your suggestions would be welcomed.

Paul