[ntp:questions] prefer in ntp.conf

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200706 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 18:40:27 UTC 2007

paul at lavender-fam.net (Paul) writes:
> I want to lock exactly to that pps source WHILE IT IS SENSIBLE, and to
> drop back to the internet when it has lost satellites. However ntp
> appears to be taking an average, loaded towards the GPS source. When the
> GPS looses satellites and goes beserk ntp sensibly drops it as a source.
> Your suggestions would be welcomed.

Stepping outside the box a bit, the real problem here is your GPS
reception is very marginal.  Even if ntp did what you want, you'd
still get crappy GPS data since the GPS is "satellite hopping" and
getting a noisy low-quality lock on the satellites.  Why not fix that
first and then start hacking ntp to do what you want with the "prefer"
keyword.  (Such as having it ignore the prefer if the clocksource is
at stratum 16).

-wolfgang
IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html