[ntp:questions] Driver Help?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Jun 13 22:31:54 UTC 2007

> From: "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net>
> Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:15:33 -0400
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.isc.org
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >>From: Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net>
> >>Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:07:22 -0500
> >>Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.isc.org

> <snip>
> >
> > Carl,
> >
> > We use CDMA and can keep time within a couple of microseconds. I am using
> > an EndRun Technologies CDMA clock which provides PPS, but the jitter on
> > the raw (TrueTime emulated) once a second update is about 4 ms at
> > worst. This sucks compared to the PPS, but should be good for most cases
> > where high precision is not an issue.
> >
> > By the way, the external CDMA clock from EndRun is pretty well hidden on
> > the web pages under "Other Products". It is found at:
> > http://www.endruntechnologies.com/network-time-source.htm
> >

> They say "Email or call us for a competitive price quote...."
> Why do I always get nervous when someone says that?  It generally means
> "all the traffic will bear and then some!"  I much prefer to deal with
> someone who says, up front, "it's $1253.99 plus shipping from. . . ."
> It saves us both a bit of time because there's no way I'm going to pay
> that much.  It might be different if I had a corporate sponsor but
> nowadays it's strictly out of my pocket!

Hmm. Since I called them before I visited the web page, I didn't notice
that.

In any case, they ran about $1100 when we bought our last batch last
year. Work very well and will emulate several different types of clock
including TrueTime, Spectacom, and Trimble Palisade.

We have about a dozen scattered around the country.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)