[ntp:questions] Best practice: re-resolve server IP address beforeeach poll/query

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Jun 14 11:35:03 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Rabel <jason at extremeoverclocking.com> writes:
>>>>> "Wolfgang" == Wolfgang S Rupprecht <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200706 at gmail.com> writes:

Jason> I don't think it should re-resolve before every poll/query, but I
Jason> think it would be good if NTP did use and respect DNS
Jason> refresh/expire info (Actually the OS's DNS system would handle
Jason> it, NTP would just make use of querying the DNS instead of fixing
Jason> the IP after the initial startup).

Wolfgang> DNS refresh and expire are two SOA entities that are meant to be
Wolfgang> looked at by the secondaries of a domain.

I'm sure he was thinking of the Time To Live (TTL) values for the
individual RRs, rather than the values in the SOA.

I'm not aware of any universal way to get that at the application level,
using the system resolvers.  Adns, however, can do so.  Cf:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/adns/

-JimC