[ntp:questions] ntp daemon wakeup/sleep patch by RedHat

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Jun 14 18:26:28 UTC 2007

>It should be widely understood that patching out the 1-s will completely
>disable any verions of NTP. That done, no polls will be sent, the
>frequency will not be disciplined, and on and on.

I haven't looked at the patch, but I assume it is peeking ahead
to find out when the next poll will happen and does one long
sleep rather than N sleeps for 1 second.

If the poll interval is 256 seconds and you have 4 servers configured,
that's 4 wakesup vs 256.  I guess it would be 8 if the responses are slow
enough.